Based in LA,CA
July 1st 2014
MOUNTAIN is an ambient procedural mountain game.
Mountain was first previewed at E3 on June 12th, 2014 - at MOCA Los Angeles, as part of Venus Patrol's HORIZON event. It was released on July 1st on Humble + the Apple app store, in conjunction with Double Fine Presents. Within 24 hours it climbed to #5 most popular paid app in North America and #1 paid Role Playing game in 33 countries. The game launched on Steam on August 18th 2014, and was nominated for the The Game Award for Games For Change. It was featured in many end of year lists as a standout game of 2014.
- no controls
- automatic save
- audio on/off switch
- time moves forward
- things grow and things die
- nature expresses itself
- ~ 50 hours of gameplay
- once generated, you cannot be regenerated
Logo & Icon
- "Mountain breaks the mold of video games."
- Ian Bogost, The Atlantic
- "Nothing You Do Matters in This Game, But You’ll Still Obsess Over It."
- Bo Moore, WIRED
- "At the beginning of the game, I find the idea cute. By the end, I am hypnotized."
- Carolina A. Miranda, LA Times
- "Welcome to an existential nightmare."
- Patrick Klepek, Giant Bomb
- "The time I spend with Mountain feels slightly more real to me than anything else inside my computer."
- Leigh Alexander, Gamasutra
- "“Mountain” upends expectations, refusing to fit into preexisting categories."
- Justin Cone, Motionographer
- "I don’t like to talk emotions but this game genuinely is so uplifting."
- Alice O'Connor, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "The only experience that has ever made me feel sad about a geological phenomenon."
- Andrew Webster, The Verge
About David OReilly
More information on David OReilly, our logo & relevant media are available here.